Saturday 9 January 2010

Doubt:Never (Chapter Four)

I have spells of creative droughts. As of recently they have been depressive states. I doubt my own ability to be great.

"Oh come on you've achieved so much. You're the most creative person I know." She says sincerely...I think.
How many creative people do you know? I ask - but only in my head. What I really say is, "thanks."
"You're kind of like an inspiration."
"Thanks again. It’s just I wanna be like you; travel the world, affect a change. See new things. You know, something other than writing and managing things."
"Things?"
"My companies."
"Oh yeah." she smiles and continues, "Well you don't really do much managing."
"I do."
"Okayyyyyyyy, of course you do." her sarcastic reply is followed by her smile.
"Anyway, back to the crux of the episode."
"Episode?" She laughs. "Such drama. You're so fierce. There's a tranny in there isn't there? I always knew you flirted with sexual experimentation."
"Yes, I'm having an episode. No, I do not cross dress."
She laughs. I try not to. But give in. The 3pm coffee shop crowd, full of student-types, all look at us and observe our loud colloquoy.
"Can we get back the main issue here? I wanna travel. Like you. You're a demi-God - travelling from continent to continent like the passport of an immigrant." I say trying to restore order to the conversation.
"Do immigrants have passports?" she says laughing. I smile beyond my seriousness. She always has that ability.
"I assume they do. Anyway, you and you're travelling..."
"Okay, so yes, I have been around the world a bit..."
"A bit? That's an understatement. That's like being in a relationship, sleeping with another person only to announce the revelation with 'I cheated a bit'."
"You always take things to extremes."
We share a laugh.
"Seriously you've been all around the world. You're like swine flu."
She laughs and responds, "You’re the starter of swine flu. How was it sleeping with pig anyway?"
Such legendary banter. Banter like this always makes me feel creative.
"You know what it is, maybe you just need a break. A couple of days away. Paris, Vienna, somewhere."
"To find myself?" I ask cheekily.
"Huh?"
"Well you know, you're always 'finding yourself' in different countries."
"When have I ever said I'm 'finding myself’?"
"Loads of times.
"I've said those exact words to you? ‘I'm finding myself’" She says, serious prose filling her face.
"Somewhere along the line."
"I don't think so. I don't travel to find myself...as you put it."
"Oh no?"
"No."
"Why do you travel then?"
"It’s fun. It’s exciting. It’s a damn sight better than staying here and complaining 24/7, like you seem to do so splendidly. You're like a trapped animal. Your mind is the zoo. Your repetitive monotonous voice is the captured monkey." She retorts viciously.
I am again, socially inept. A silence.
She makes me feel small again.
More silence.
Suddenly I grab the floating urge to counter her insult.
With a subtle degree of arrogance I say, "I guess you're the paying customer?"  
Touche.
She gives me a look that could be best described as a ‘nuclear winter’. Milliseconds later she turns her head away.
More silence.
"Can we get the bill? I'm busy. I've gotta go." Her voice utters in disgust after cutting her eyes sharply in my direction.
Still upset, but arrogance growing, I continue my thinly veiled onslaught, "You're paying right? Being the ‘paying customer’ and all that?"
Touche part two.
Another look from her. Another cut of the eye and then a violent reach into her wallet - next slamming down money...too much. Finished off by..."I'm going home. Bye." - further finished by her leaving.
I smile to myself. I finally got to her. Suddenly I feel more confident. I feel cocky. My chest puffs out; my shoulders rise a few thousand inches. I am a creative god. Again.
     The waiter turns up. Still in the zone, I give him the money - all 'too much' of it.
"Keep the change."
Touche part three.
     I leave. Boisterous slow walk. I'm in no doubt about my talent now. Never doubt your talent. Never doubt anything positive.


No comments:

Post a Comment